Overview of Veterans Care
The mission of Warriors Live On is to provide educational and life-changing experiences for combat veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (OIF and OEF) who are battling through the symptoms of PTSD and who are motivated to learn to Live On. It’s not about forgetting what happened to you, but rather taking the negative and transforming it to something that positively shapes the way you step forward. The supportive and healing environment of Warriors Live On provides warriors with therapeutic adventure activities, whole body-mind-spirit healing, and integrative therapy. It also provides life-skill-enhancing educational experiences in an interactive, interdependent, and sustainable working community.
Why Integrative Health?
About Trauma and Our Approach to Healing
Trauma exists in a physical form held within the nervous system of our body. The nervous system transmits information from our body to our brains to inform us of danger in our environments. Equally, the nervous system informs and gives us sensations of enjoyment and happiness communicating that all is well. It is clear that our systems gravitate towards only noticing danger and those struggling with trauma have an especially difficult time breaking out of that nervous system rut.
While the system gets tricked into thinking all is bad, in reality the system still has all the necessary resources to enjoy and to feel good. Roughly, Eighty percent of information being processed by a human being begins in the body, and passes through the nervous system by means of the senses of touch, smell, sound, taste and sight. This means we need to get centered in the body to get an accurate picture on reality.
Gentle movement therapies and good health practices physically move the nervous system, fascia and regulate the Vagus nerve. These therapies have the ability to move trauma energy out of the body. WLO integrates the fundamental modalities below into each Veteran’s therapy program.
Warriors Live On embraces an integrative approach to healing because of the following reasons1:
• The patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
• All factors that influence health, wellness and disease are taken into consideration, including body, mind, spirit and community.
• Providers use all healing sciences to facilitate the body’s innate healing response.
• Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive are used whenever possible.
• Good medicine is based in good science. It is inquiry driven and open to new paradigms.
• Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
• Integrated care views each person as an individual and is personalized to best address his or her unique conditions, needs and circumstances. Practitioners of integrative medicine exemplify these principles and commit themselves to continual self-exploration and self-development.
• In addition to addressing and handling the immediate health problems and the deeper causes of the disease or illness, integrative medicine strategies also focus on prevention and foster the development of healthy behaviors and effective self-care skills that patients can use throughout their lives and share with other veterans, friends and family members.
Learn more about each component of our integrated healing program.
Each One Teach One
Healing Beyond Oneself
Veterans want to help the next veteran. We may not always feel ready, but one commonality between veterans is that they want to help each other. They know they are only as strong as the person standing next to them, and desire to assist where they can. The ability to help another gives people purpose, a reason to strive forward in their own health and to help others that they know may be depending on them. This sense of purpose is something we all need.
Vets helping vets through an electronic recycling fundraising event. Recon Recycling and WLO teamed up to collect funds from electronic waste.
WLO believes in paying it forward. When one Veteran gets healthier we want to take another one up with us. WLO believes in the Veterans they serve and wants to see them thrive on many different levels. Opportunities for vets to mentor each other, teach one another and build each other up are becoming available. Healing brings on about a different energy in life, and we want to give our vets the chance to share. WLO is currently working to create CEU’s for the training vets partake in to legitimize the work they do with us. Please stay tuned for more developments here.