The mission of Warriors Live On is to provide educational and life-changing experiences for combat veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (OIF and OEF) who are battling through the symptoms of PTSD and who are motivated to learn to Live On. It’s not about forgetting what happened to you, but rather taking the negative and transforming it to something that positively shapes the way you step forward. The supportive and healing environment of Warriors Live On provides warriors with therapeutic adventure activities, whole body-mind-spirit healing, and therapy. It also provides life-skill-enhancing educational experiences in an interactive, interdependent, and sustainable working community.
WLO will offer scholarships to qualified combat veterans with PTSD for the Combat to Community Program. This program provides holistic and therapeutic civilian service–type job training, and it will teach self-healing as well as skills to heal others. WLO seeks to assist veterans in first healing from their own trauma, while developing self-efficacy, life skills, and leadership training to pass on to other veterans working to integrate into the civilian community again. Scroll down for a sample of C2C Programs.
WLO also offers mentorship programs for new scholarship award winners, ensuring that they are supported through their C2C training programs. Learn more about WLO Mentor Programs.
Learn how to qualify and apply for a Combat to Community Scholarship.
Sample Combat to Community (C2C) Programs
Warriors Live On C2C Scholarships can include (but are not limited to) partial or full tuition up to $5,000 for programs such as:
- Somatic Experiencing: Level 1 Training
- What is Somatic Experiencing® (SE)? Somatic Experiencing is a short-term naturalistic approach to the resolution and healing of trauma developed by Dr. Peter Levine. It is based upon the observation that wild prey animals, though threatened routinely, are rarely traumatized. Animals in the wild utilize innate mechanisms to regulate and discharge the high levels of energy arousal associated with defensive survival behaviors. These mechanisms provide animals with a built-in immunity to trauma that enables them to return to normal in the aftermath of highly charged life-threatening experiences. For more information, see: http://somaticexperiencing.com/ or www.traumahealing.com
- Yoga Teacher Training
- With Allison Scola and other yoga Instructors and professionals, Pilgrimage of the Heart Yoga Studio. www.pilgrimageyoga.com
- Mindfulness and Meditation Study: Training in Delivering Stress Reduction Techniques
- Mindfulness and positive psychology–based programs, MBSR (mindfulness-based stress reduction), and courses with licensed professionals from New Mindful Life. http://newmindfullife.com/
- Disability Physical Fitness Training
- Tyler Simmons, Nutrition Consultant and Advisor. www.evolutionaryhealthsystems.com
- Acupuncture and Herbalist Training
- Adaptive Sports Training and Leadership Training
- With WLO team member Bob Speck
- Learn how to teach others wellness and be a pioneer in leading outdoor activities for disabled veterans.
- Green Building and Clean Energy Pre-Apprenticeship
- Training partnerships with www.sandiegoatwork.com
- Omega Institute: A Retreat for Veterans Living with PTSD
- San Diego Adaptive Scuba Diving Training
- Adaptive Horse Back Riding Training or PTSD Dog Training
- Health and Wellness Coaching (ACSM)